The Amazon Retail Experience team has an opening for an outstanding Software Development Engineer who is passionate about working on Big Data challenges. You will join a fast-paced Agile team of software engineers and data scientists at our development center in Edinburgh, Scotland. In this team, you will work on optimizing the way that the Amazon retail business operates to improve the customer experience. You will have the opportunity to build systems that process and analyze vast quantities of real Amazon data. Your systems will meet high standards of performance and reliability and will operate at massive scale, 24x7. The team has a high level of visibility within Amazon, and interfaces directly with both front-end and back-end retail systems, including the main Amazon shopping websites.
Our ideal candidate is a full-stack developer with a track record of applying big data technologies, e.g. AWS EMR/EC2/Kinesis and Apache Hadoop/Hive/Storm/Samza/Kafka/Spark/Flink, to solve real world challenges. The position has a heavy emphasis on data analysis and experimentation, and we require an engineer who has the ability to dive deep into data and using the learnings to design and implement big-data solutions. You will be involved in every aspect of the team - from idea generation, data exploration, business analysis, and technical design through to software development using cutting-edge technologies. The position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to the Amazon retail business.
• Computer Science Honors degree (2:1 or better) or other technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience will be considered.
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers.
• Demonstrated strong object-oriented design and coding skills in Java (or equivalent languages such as C++/C#/Python/Ruby).
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of big data technologies, e.g. EMR/Hadoop/Hive.
• Strong computer science grounding and knowledge of a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
• Experience in data manipulation and analysis, including command-line tools and scripting.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
• Demonstrated best-practice software engineering including Agile methodologies, unit testing, refactoring, code reviews, continuous build and deployment processes.
• Experience operating and maintaining production software.
• Advanced coding skills (concurrency, profiling and performance optimization).
• Designed and built complex systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling).
• Linux/UNIX (command-line tools, shell scripts, operations).
• Results oriented and analytical, with a strong customer and business focus.
• Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
• Highly innovative, self-directed and able to deal well with ambiguous problems.
• Strong sense of ownership, with a passion for software and continuous learning.
We offer a highly competitive salary and excellent benefits. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.