We are looking for outstanding candidates to join us as full-time Software Development Engineers. Successful candidates will have solved complex and broad business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices, building solutions that scaled and performed. You will also have a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You will work as part of an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global websites. Your team will own the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated strong object-oriented design and coding skills in Java (or equivalent languages such as C++/C#/Python/Ruby)
• Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills
• Strong written and verbal English communications skills
• The candidate will be highly pragmatic - a do-er as well as a thinker; we use technology to solve real-world problems expediently to achieve spectacular business returns
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers
• Advanced coding skills (concurrency, profiling and performance optimisation)
• Design and architecture (design patterns, web services, high-scale, high-availability, multi-tier distributed systems)
• Linux/UNIX (command-line tools, shell scripts, operations)
• Best-practice software engineering including Agile methodologies, unit testing, refactoring, source control management, continuous integration and build processes
• Experience using machine learning and statistical tools such as R, SPSS, Weka, and RapidMiner.
• Experience in data mining, clustering, machine learning, model building, segmentation, and other analytical techniques.
• Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus
• Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, but also a cooperative team player
• Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences
• Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems
• Strong sense of ownership and passion for writing world-class software
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.