Want to help revolutionize the employee experience at Amazon? Help us deliver an industry-leading data science platform; developing, building and innovating on a global, scalable technology solution for Amazon's growing Talent Management needs. Come be part of a team that will directly shape and influence the future growth of every employee at Amazon.
Working in an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, you will have the opportunity to work with, explore and analyse vast amounts of data, working with distributed machine learning and statistical algorithms across multiple platforms (Amazon Web Services, Hadoop, NoSQL, relational databases) to harness enormous volumes of data at scale to drive decisions. We will create and maintain large stores of machine-understandable structured knowledge and combine this with natural language understanding and machine inference. You will work with a team of engineers and scientists to gather data, design models and implement prototypes that give insight. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7. At Amazon you will see immediate results from your work as hundreds of employees respond to insights you help discover and use the software you build.
You have strong computer science credentials, are customer-obsessed and have a track record of building quality solutions. You know how to build and you dive deep into data. You intrinsically use technology to solve problems, excel in data analysis and can succinctly and accurately report your findings. You will contribute to all aspects of our system's design, development, documentation, testing and operations. You will improve our data pipelines and mine new sources of data to make our system better. Together with a team of smart and highly-motivated engineers and scientists, you will help deliver robust data, feature sets, intuitive designs and user interfaces that will deliver at Amazon scale.
We are interested in individuals who can apply their skills to research, develop and implement scalable solutions for natural language understanding, inference, and semantic knowledge extraction from structured data and unstructured text. The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you have a rigorous, data-driven mind-set, know how to deliver solutions and have a strong desire to solve challenging problems then our team is the place to make an impact. Are you seeking an environment where you can drive innovation? Are you passionate about building and running global scale services that will process and store huge amounts of data securely and efficiently? Do you want to play a key role in the future of Amazon's business?
You will contribute to all aspects of our system's design, development, documentation, testing and operations. You will improve our data pipelines and mine new sources of data to make our system better. You will build tools so that your key analyses can be packaged up and run by anyone. Together with a team of smart and highly-motivated engineers and scientists, you will help deliver robust data, feature sets, and predictive models.
You will work as part of a sustainable paced agile team and will play a technical hands on leadership role in your team giving you the responsibility and authority and autonomy to ensure success. You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development using the latest technologies and design patterns. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
Come join a team full of very intelligent and capable people who come from all over the world. Enjoy the chance to work in a relaxed setting with a good social life. The team based in Edinburgh, Scotland is rapidly expanding. Successful candidates will have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
• Interfacing with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using AWS data platform technologies such as RDS, RedShift, S3, as well as data manipulation in languages such as SQL, Python, Scala and Java.
• Interfacing with business customers to gather requirements.
• Modeling data and metadata to support ad-hoc and ongoing reporting.
• Owning the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, that drive key business decisions.
• Learning and understanding a broad range of Amazon's data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
• Continually improving ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for secondary datasets.
• Proposing data flow and storage solutions.
• Implementing big data solutions for distributed computing.
• Extensive experience providing technical leadership as a senior engineer.
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or another technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated coding and problem solving skills in at least one modern programming language.
• Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
• Good design pattern knowledge and the ability to pick the right pattern after understanding the trade offs.
• Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.).
• Significant experience with relational database concepts, and a knowledge of SQL.
• Demonstrated ability in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing.
• Demonstrated best-practice software engineering including Agile methodologies, TDD, unit testing, refactoring, code reviews, continuous build and deployment processes.
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers.
• Experience operating and maintaining production software.
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
• Experience designing, building and operating data processing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling).
• Experience building/operating highly-available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including implementation and tuning experience using Redshift, Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Pig and other big data technologies.
• Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources, including relational and data modeling concepts.
• Experience with business intelligence and reporting products such as Tableau and Microstrategy.
• Experience using machine learning and statistical tools such as Scikit-learn and Spark-ML.
• Linux/UNIX including command-line tools and scripting to process large data sets.
• Cloud computing, large-scale and high-availability distributed architecture.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills.
• Experience in basic data manipulation and analysis, including command-line tools and scripting.
• Results oriented and analytical, with a strong customer and business focus.
• Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
• Highly innovative, self-directed and able to deal well with ambiguous problems.
• Strong sense of ownership, with a passion for software and continuous learning.
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and many other excellent benefits including healthcare and Stock. At Amazon, employees have the opportunity to become owners of the Company. We want employees to think like owners, and awarding equity provides an ownership opportunity to our employees. Eligible Amazon and subsidiary employees receive Amazon Restricted Stock Units. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.