We are looking for outstanding Software Development Engineers to join us in launching and growing Audience Insights, a new initiative for Amazon's advertising business, helping advertisers to understand the ecommerce-related behaviours of customers of their brands. As a member of an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, you will have the opportunity to build the big data platform to generate unique insights and also develop industry leading data visualizations to produce compelling, actionable narratives that showcase the value of this data to our customers.
Successful candidates will have solved complex and broad business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices, building solutions that scaled and performed. You will also have a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
Your team will own the business, technology, and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated strong object-oriented design and coding skills in Java (or equivalent languages such as C++/C#/Python/Ruby).
• Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communications skills.
• The candidate will be highly pragmatic - a do-er as well as a thinker; we use technology to solve real-world problems expediently to achieve spectacular business returns.
• In-depth experience with functional languages such as Scala or F#.
• Best-practice software engineering including Agile methodologies, unit testing, refactoring, source control management, continuous integration and build processes.
• Advanced coding skills (concurrency, profiling and performance optimisation).
• Designed and built complex systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling).
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers.
• Linux/UNIX (command-line tools, shell scripts, operations).
• Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
• Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, but also a cooperative team player.
• Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
• Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems.
• Strong sense of ownership and passion for writing world-class software.
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.