We are looking for outstanding candidates to join us as full-time Software Development Engineers. Successful candidates will have built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully deployed in a business setting. You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build. You will also have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You will work as part of an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global websites. You will play a leadership role in your team - they will look to you for advice on the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class websites and systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
• Computer Science Honors degree (2:1 or better) or other technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience will be considered.
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers.
• Demonstrated strong object-oriented design and coding skills in Java (or equivalent languages such as C++/C#/Python/Ruby).
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of big data technologies, e.g. EMR/Hadoop/Hive.
• Strong computer science grounding and knowledge of a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
• Experience in data manipulation and analysis, including command-line tools and scripting.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
• Demonstrated best-practice software engineering including Agile methodologies, unit testing, refactoring, code reviews, continuous build and deployment processes.
• Experience operating and maintaining production software.
• Advanced coding skills (concurrency, profiling and performance optimization).
• Designed and built complex systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling).
• Linux/UNIX (command-line tools, shell scripts, operations).
• Results oriented and analytical, with a strong customer and business focus.
• Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
• Highly innovative, self-directed and able to deal well with ambiguous problems.
• Strong sense of ownership, with a passion for software and continuous learning.
We offer a highly competitive salary and excellent benefits. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.