Do you enjoy leading teams of engineers working on high-scale, complex, international solutions? Do you enjoy end-to-end responsibility, working on business ideas as well as technology, software engineering and operations? An opportunity has arisen for a Software Development Manager to join Amazon's worldwide Dynamic Advertising program based in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Our Dynamic Advertising program serves relevant personalized ads to our customers across the internet. We apply machine learning to bid optimally for advertising impressions in real-time auctions and serve the most relevant ads to customers in every impression. Our work is characterized by high scale, low latency, complexity and a constant need for innovation.
You will lead an Agile engineering team in at our Development Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland. You will be responsible for everything from business ideas through to technology, software engineering and operations. You and your team will be accountable for running the systems you build, continually inventing new features and improving your performance against business and operational metrics.
Successful candidates will have a background in software development, most likely with a Computer Science degree. You will be detail-driven, numerate and have excellent problem solving abilities. You should be a confident people manager with a track record of growing high performance teams.
You must be able to:
• Be a credible Agile engineering leader for a team of high-performing software engineers.
• Grasp the online advertising business and dive deep into business and operational metrics.
• Partner with colleagues across the company (and across the world) to define and deliver complex features.
• Lead the delivery of large, complex projects.
• Anticipate bottlenecks, escalate as needed, balance business needs versus technical constraints.
• Actively manage risks and issues.
Write effectively, sharing relevant project updates, plans and metrics with stakeholders.
• You will have significant experience in software engineering development and team lead roles, including line management.
• You will hold a Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or have undertaken postgraduate study (applicants with a degree in a related discipline who have demonstrated a strong grounding in Computer Science and experience in Software Engineering will also be considered).
• Prior experience of software development and a solid grounding in Computer Science, including algorithms, data structures, operating systems, programming languages and distributed systems. You will hold a Computer Science degree (2:1 Honours or better) or equivalent experience.
• Experience with modern software development practices including automated testing, refactoring, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
• Experience leading the delivery of large, cross-team projects.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience analyzing business and operational metrics.
• Advanced quantitative analytical abilities.
• Experience delivering complex projects in partnership with remote colleagues.
• Experience as a business leader.
• Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
• Experience leading engineers to translate requirements to technical solutions.
• Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, but also a cooperative team player.
• Ability to adapt communications style for technical, design and business colleagues.
• Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems.
• Able to thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment.
Strong sense of ownership and a passion for leading a team to deliver a world-class user experience.