We are looking for outstanding Software Development Managers to lead Agile teams at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global websites. Your team will own the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success.
You will need to make architectural decisions with multi-year effects, drive consensus for hard technical trade-offs and lead risky R&D efforts to success, enabling world-class user experiences. You will develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable roadmap and then manage execution against project plans and delivery commitments. You will continue to hire world-class colleagues, developing and retaining your team.
Qualified candidates will have excellent leadership and strategic customer-focused thinking skills demonstrated through multiple successful product release cycles. A proven ability to collaborate, communicate well, as well as mentor and grow high-potential engineers is a must. Successful candidates are not only passionate about creating reliable and maintainable systems but also motivated to develop high-performance teams through effective goal setting, attention to performance and operational metrics, continuous process improvement and mentorship.
• You will have significant experience in software engineering development and team lead roles, including line management.
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or have undertaken postgraduate study (applicants with a degree in a related discipline who have demonstrated a strong grounding in Computer Science and experience in Software Engineering will also be considered).
• Significant experience as an Agile project manager and a line manager in a software development team.
• Prior experience of software development and a solid grounding in Computer Science, including algorithms, data structures, operating systems, programming languages and distributed systems.
• Experience with best-practice software engineering including Agile methods, automated testing, refactoring, source control management, continuous integration and deployment.
• Experience of end-to-end product ownership, working directly with designers as well as software developers to design, plan, develop, ship and iterate quickly.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communications skills.
• Experience developing complex interactive web applications.
• Experience building applications with Amazon Web Services.
• Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
• The ability to take raw product requirements and bring them to life.
• Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, but also a cooperative team player.
• Ability to communicate and discuss topics with technical, design and business audiences.
• Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems.
• Able to thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment.
• Strong sense of ownership and a passion for leading a team to deliver a world-class user experience.
We offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.
Closing date for applications: 26th July 2017